Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Matt Kindt's Mind MGMT (a.k.a. me finally getting serious about graphic novels)

I have a colleague in the science department who is a huge aficionado of comics and graphic novels, so when he saw Mind MGMT on the shelf in our library and recommended it, I knew I needed to give it a try.  I've been wanting to get more into graphic novels lately, and this seemed like just the book to get me started.

Reading Matt Kindt's novel is a little like watching the show Lost.  The characters are amazing, the story is intriguing, and you feel completely confused the entire time.  And it's great.  Meru, the main character, is writer who is researching a mysterious airline crash for an upcoming novel. While searching for clues, she is drawn into a wild world of espionage and special psychic abilities.  By the time I finished this story, my head was completely spinning, and I was ready for the sequel.  Fortunately, Kindt has written three more in this series, the fourth of which has just been released. 

5 things I like most about Mind MGMT:
1) The amazing watercolor pencilwork I want hanging on the wall in my apartment. 
2) The cool psychic powers many of the characters possess. 
3) The crazy plot twists that make you want to go back and read it again from the beginning right after finishing.
4) Kindt's interesting use of text structure.  Hidden "instructions" are written in the margins of each page. 
5) The constant addition of new characters, each more interesting than the last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment